Thairath Online
Thairath Online

Pakistan Launches New Airstrike on Afghanistan, Killing 18

Foreign22 Feb 2026 21:52 GMT+7

Share article

Pakistan Launches New Airstrike on Afghanistan, Killing 18

Pakistan launched a new wave of airstrikes on Afghanistan, resulting in 18 deaths, all from the same family in Nangarhar province.

Foreign news agencies reported that the Pakistan military conducted airstrikes on multiple areas in Afghanistan overnight from Saturday to Sunday, 22 Feb 2026 GMT+7. Afghanistan's Taliban government stated these attacks have killed at least 18 people, including women and children.

The Pakistan government claimed the strikes targeted seven camps and hideouts of armed groups near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. These attacks followed a recent suicide bombing in Pakistan.

However, Afghan authorities condemned Pakistan's airstrikes, accusing them of targeting several civilian homes and religious schools in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.

A man named Shahabuddin from the Girdikas village in Bihsud district, Nangarhar province, told the media that out of 23 family members, only five survived the attack.

This new wave of attacks occurred after Afghanistan and Pakistan reached a fragile ceasefire agreement in October 2025 following intense border clashes, which prompted US intervention. Nevertheless, sporadic clashes have continued since the agreement.

So far, there have been no reports of casualties in other targeted areas. Local officials and residents told the BBC that guesthouses and religious schools in Bermal and Urgun districts of Paktika province were targeted, but no one was inside those buildings at the time.



Source:bbc