
Donald Trump claims he ordered the suspension of a new round of military attacks on Iran, which was supposed to take place this Tuesday, at the request of Gulf Arab countries. He revealed that serious negotiations are currently underway.
On 18 May 2026 GMT+7, U.S. President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that he had ordered the suspension of a military operation against Iran scheduled for Tuesday, following a request from Gulf Arab states because "serious negotiations are currently underway."
Trump's post stated that the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) requested the delay of the planned attack.
Trump said he had been informed that an agreement "beneficial and acceptable" to the U.S. was forthcoming, emphasizing that "Iran must absolutely not have nuclear weapons!"
However, Trump warned that the U.S. is ready to "immediately launch a full-scale, massive attack on Iran without prior notice" if a satisfactory agreement cannot be reached.
Meanwhile, Iran's top military commanders also warned the U.S. not to make "a second strategic mistake or miscalculation."
This latest development comes after Iran revealed it had submitted a revised peace proposal to the U.S., amid Donald Trump's falling approval ratings and opinion polls indicating growing American public disapproval of the war.
A poll conducted by The New York Times and Siena College, released Monday, showed about 64% of registered voters believe the decision to go to war with Iran was a mistake, while only 37% approve of Trump's performance as president.
These poll results reflect major challenges facing the Republican Party in the upcoming midterm elections, as public patience wears thin regarding the war, economic management, immigration issues, and other concerns under Trump’s administration.
In a later press briefing, Trump called the current developments "a very positive step, but we will have to wait and see what the outcome will be."
"We have had moments where we thought we were close to reaching an agreement, but it ultimately failed. This time, it's slightly different."
Trump also said there appears to be a "very good chance" of reaching an agreement with Iran, adding, "If we can do that without having to heavily bomb them, I would be very pleased."
Follow international news:https://www.thairath.co.th/news/foreign
Source:bbc