Thairath Online
Thairath Online

WHO Warns Ebola May Spread Faster Than Initially Expected

Foreign19 May 2026 22:52 GMT+7

Share

WHO Warns Ebola May Spread Faster Than Initially Expected

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the number of Ebola infections may be spreading faster than initially estimated, after a rapid rise in deaths in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

On 19 May 2026, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned that the number of infections may be spreading faster than first estimated, following a sharp increase in Ebola deaths in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) over the past few days.

So far, this virus has claimed 131 lives in the DRC, and officials report over 513 suspected cases in the country. Additionally, there has been one death in the neighboring country of Uganda.

Dr. Anne Encia from the World Health Organization told the BBC that the more the United Nations agencies investigate this outbreak, the clearer it becomes that the disease has spread to other areas.

A model from the global infectious disease analysis center MRC in London, released last Monday, indicates a large number of infections are likely "undetected," and it cannot be ruled out that current cases may have already exceeded 1,000.

The study’s findings state that the current outbreak is "larger than detected so far," and the "true size of the outbreak remains uncertain."

A local resident in the DRC who calls himself “Bigboy” told the BBC that people are “very fearful” and are protecting themselves by washing hands with clean water. However, he added that he hopes villagers could also access other protective equipment, such as face masks.

Meanwhile, Alfred Gisa, another local from Ituri province, which is heavily affected, said the community is aware of the threat and is waiting to receive face masks for protection. He admitted, however, that he does not know what to do if a family member or close friend becomes infected.

The Red Cross has warned that Ebola can escalate rapidly if infected individuals are not identified early, combined with communities lacking information and overwhelmed health systems. Currently, "we are facing all these factors" in the ongoing outbreak.

On Tuesday, Democratic Republic of Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi called for the public to "remain calm" and urged Congolese citizens to stay alert and vigilant, after convening an emergency meeting on Monday evening to address the crisis.

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization, who last week declared the Ebola outbreak in the DRC a "public health emergency of international concern," said he is deeply worried about the size and speed of this major outbreak.


Follow international news:https://www.thairath.co.th/news/foreign


Source:BBC