
Donald Trump admitted that the U.S. is currently not negotiating with Iran and has no scheduled talks. He claimed the Strait of Hormuz is open, although Iran insists the U.S. must fulfill conditions to reopen the strait.
On Tuesday, 18 Aug 2026 GMT+7, Donald Trump, President of the United States, posted on Truth Social confirming that there are no ongoing negotiations between the U.S. and Iran, nor any scheduled discussions. However, Trump maintained that the Strait of Hormuz is open, despite Iran's denial and statement that it will not open the strait until the U.S. meets the conditions.
"There are no ongoing or scheduled talks or negotiations with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The maritime blockade remains fully in effect. The Strait of Hormuz is open and operating normally. All naval mines have been cleared or destroyed," Trump's message stated.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, head of Iran's negotiation team, told state media on Tuesday that the strait will remain closed until the U.S. complies with the terms of a temporary agreement signed with Iran in June.
Ghalibaf told parliament that these conditions include the U.S. lifting the blockade of Iranian ports, ending oil sanctions, unfreezing Tehran's assets, and ceasing all threats and military operations.
Earlier on Monday, Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and special envoy, expressed hope for talks, stating that negotiations are ongoing. "I can't provide details, but I can say that discussions between the U.S. government and various levels of the Iranian government are more intense than ever," he said.
Earlier in August, Donald Trump claimed that the U.S. and Iran had resumed talks after a ceasefire collapsed and 13 consecutive nights of retaliatory weapon fire. However, Iran has consistently denied negotiating with the U.S. and has presented conditions the U.S. must meet to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
On Monday, senior Iranian officials told Reuters that Iran will shift its military stance to a "full offensive" due to the lack of progress in permanent peace negotiations with the U.S.
When asked on Monday if the U.S. was trying to extend the temporary June agreement, Trump denied it, saying that was not the case.
Follow international news:https://www.thairath.co.th/news/foreign
Source:cna