
South Korea's military revealed that North Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles from Pyongyang toward the East Sea while the U.S. and South Korea were conducting their annual joint military exercises, which were scaled down and shortened this year under President Donald Trump's orders. This occurred just hours after Trump announced plans to meet Kim Jong Un again within the year.
South Korea's military disclosed on Thursday that North Korea fired approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles from Pyongyang heading toward the East Sea, also known as the Sea of Japan. The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) reported detecting the missile launches at around 5:00 p.m. local time on 20 August but did not provide further details about the missiles' range or impact points.
South Korea's military has increased surveillance and is closely monitoring the situation to prepare for the possibility of additional missile launches by North Korea. It is sharing information with U.S. and Japanese forces and maintaining a high level of combat readiness. Japan's Prime Minister's Office also reported detecting what is believed to be missiles launched by North Korea, which have landed in the sea.
The latest missile launches occurred about one week after North Korea fired another short-range ballistic missile eastward on 12 August.
The missile launches took place while U.S. and South Korean forces were conducting their annual joint exercise, 'Ulchi Freedom Shield,' which was reduced in scale and duration this year following President Donald Trump's directive to downsize the drills. The exercises were scheduled to end on 21 August, about a week earlier than originally planned, with South Korea stating this was at the U.S. side's suggestion.
The U.S. Department of Defense confirmed that the reduced scale of the exercises would not affect the military training objectives. The drills aim to prepare allied forces for potential attacks from North Korea.
However, North Korea has long viewed the joint U.S.-South Korea exercises as rehearsals for invading the North and frequently responds with missile or weapons tests during these periods.
Kim Yo-jong, sister of Kim Jong Un, said on Wednesday that the reduction in the scale of U.S.-South Korea exercises was "not worthy of comment" and did not prompt Pyongyang to change its stance.
The latest missile launches came just hours after President Donald Trump revealed plans to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un again within the year. This effort aims to revive the relationship established during their initial meetings when Trump was in office. Speaking at the White House, Trump said he believes having a good relationship with Kim is important and noted that North Korea possesses about 57 powerful nuclear weapons.
This figure contrasts with South Korea's assessment. South Korean Defense Minister An Gyu-baek stated that South Korea generally estimates North Korea has about 80 to 120 nuclear warheads, though the exact number is unconfirmed.
South Korea continues to not officially recognize North Korea as a nuclear-armed state and maintains its policy of not developing nuclear weapons, relying instead on U.S. nuclear deterrence capabilities.
Previously, Kim Yo-jong said Kim Jong Un still holds "good memories and feelings" toward Trump, and their personal relationship remains "excellent." However, she stated she was unaware whether Trump and Kim have communicated recently.
These statements come as Trump seeks to revive talks with North Korea after diplomacy stalled due to failed negotiations over nuclear disarmament and sanctions relief. Trump and Kim met three times during 2018-2019 summits but did not reach concrete agreements on North Korea's nuclear program.
The U.S. maintains approximately 28,500 troops stationed in South Korea to support defense, a legacy of the Korean War (1950-1953), which ended with an armistice but no formal peace treaty.
South Korean President Lee Jae-myung, who supports enhancing South Korea's own defense capabilities to reduce reliance on the U.S., said he will do everything possible to support Trump's efforts to build peace with North Korea.
Meanwhile, South Korean Defense Minister An Gyu-baek stated that South Korea still believes the U.S. has not abandoned the goal of North Korea's nuclear disarmament, despite Trump's signals to reopen talks with Kim.