
Swedish police confirmed that a 17-year-old female student died in a sword attack at a high school in Fagersta, while two male students were seriously injured and another had minor injuries. Authorities arrested an 18-year-old man on charges of murder and attempted murder and are investigating the suspect’s motives and background.
Swedish police confirmed that the victim who died in the sword attack at Brinell School in central Fagersta was a 17-year-old girl. Two boys aged 12 and 17 were seriously injured, and another injured person was released from hospital after minor wounds.
The incident occurred shortly after 2 p.m. local time on 21 Aug, when an 18-year-old male suspect, whose name has not been disclosed, entered the school with a sword and attacked several students before police arrested him. Authorities confirmed charges of murder and attempted murder are being pursued.
Police received the alert at 2:06 p.m., and about 10 minutes later, field officers reported intercepting the suspect using firearms. Police confirmed they discharged weapons during the operation but have not yet revealed whether the suspect was shot before being taken into custody.
Brinell School has nearly 500 students and is located about 170 kilometers northwest of Stockholm. The incident happened shortly after students returned to classes following the summer break. Several schools in the area were evacuated for safety, and heavily armed police were deployed before the regional emergency was lifted on Saturday.
Swedish media reported the suspect wore a helmet, black clothing, and a face covering during the attack. According to SVT television, he is a former student of the school and had been convicted of assaulting another student there. He was also previously under supervision according to Sweden’s Care of Young Persons Act (LVU).
Administrative court documents describe the suspect’s childhood as marked by violence, threats, severe neglect, restricted food intake to control weight, and forced intensive martial arts training involving violence or intimidation.
A former member of the suspect’s martial arts club told SVT that he was quiet and withdrawn, rarely talking to others, often training alone, and eventually left the club.
Police are also investigating a TikTok account that posted an image resembling a sword at 1:41 p.m., about 25 minutes before the police were notified. The account had previously shared content interpreted as glorifying violence but was deleted at police request.
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson visited the school on Saturday with opposition leader Magdalena Andersson to express condolences to the victims and their families. The Prime Minister said the motive remains unknown but police are conducting a thorough investigation.
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden expressed shock and sorrow upon learning of the incident, while community members and students continuously laid flowers in tribute to the deceased outside the school.